So where do you start? What do you do to market and grow your business?
There are so many options right? It’s possible even, that you’re somewhat overwhelmed right now just thinking about it.
Well, I like to start with ‘free first, then pay’ options…how does that sound to you? The reason being is that typically these days people need to experience you somehow or in a couple different ways before they will sign up, buy or pay for anything you have to offer. It’s not always the case but usually. That’s why we give free gifts on our websites, do free talks and teleseminars and why we write articles on our blogs and more.
I usually recommend focusing your marketing in 3 different types of marketing, they are:
1. Database Marketing
2. Referral Source Marketing
3. New Business Marketing
The reason I break it down like this is because most small business owners focus most of their efforts in only one area, going after new business, and they forget or choose not to do much to market to their databases or referral sources which are the easiest to go after! (Let me explain each and give you some examples.)
Your Database Marketing is marketing to everyone and anyone you know….regardless of your relationship. This includes your hair dresser, dentist, neighbors and friends. More than likely everyone you know could be a potential prospect or referral source (but we’ll talk about referral sources separately for this example).
Database Marketing needs to be done via email, mail, phone, social media, in person visits possibly and maybe even fax if you or your customers still use it – the more ways the better! The goal is to be on top of mind with everyone you know (and those you add to your database too) all the time so if they or someone they know needs your products or services, you are the first person they think of.
Database Marketing can be:
- Sending out bi-weekly or weekly ezines (monthly is not frequent enough for most businesses)
- Holding regular teleclasses or events they can attend for free or paid
- Mailings to them often and consistently
- Reminder phone calls and follow up calls
- Connecting with them on the social media sites you belong to or where they’ll see you most
- Dropping by their offices or dropping materials by their homes possibly if it’s a good fit
Your Referral Source Marketing is marketing to all those individuals, companies or groups that directly market to your target market. They are complimentary businesses to yours or big fans of yours that will be most likely to refer business to you. You want to go through your database and build a big list of these people, companies or groups that you can market to. You may even want to do a Google search by industry or type of business or person to find or connect with more individuals or companies to add to that list and market to.
The marketing messages that you’ll send to Referral Sources will be slightly different than the ones you send to your regular database of prospects and contacts and a lot different than the ones you send to new businesses.
Referral Source Marketing can be any or all of the above plus:
- Invite referral sources to be guest on your teleclasses, radio or TV show, or speak at your events (and offer to do the same for them)
- Invite referral sources to use your articles or content in their email newsletters, blogs or websites (and offer to do the same)
- Build an automated online referral program (typically called an Affiliate Program) that can track referrals
- Send referral sources prewritten email or web copy or mailed materials they can send out to promote your products, services, events or classes (making sure you have a tracking system in place of course to reward the ones who send you business)
- Connect with them on social media, letting them know online when something comes up they can promote, comment on or share with their followers
Your New Business Marketing will consist more of direct marketing to a targeted list of prospects. You can buy a list if you want so you can do a mailing but make sure you’re very clear on the demographics and psychographics of your prospects in order to narrow the list down.
In addition to mailings for New Business Marketing here are many other ways to reach potential prospects:
- Social networking is one of the most popular these days – there are hundreds of sites and places to find prospects online but you can get sucked in and spend a ton of time so watch out! Go searching with a goal of who you want to connect with, what you hope to drive them to (ie; your website, opt in box, call with you, etc.) and then find an appropriate way to introduce yourself without being too self-promoting.
- Finding blogs and forums online where your target market congregates and post on them often; answering and asking questions, even finding out how to become an expert on that site if possible submitting content or your expertise.
- Speak, sponsor or network at events where your target market will be in attendance
- Run advertisements in your local area or even national publications or online publications too that reach those ideal prospects.
Most of all however, for all types of marketing, the goal should be to get them into your mailing and email database so that you can continue to market to them. You’ve got to build relationships with them over time; that’s the most effective way to market to anyone. People will do business with people they like, trust and connect with so make it easy for them to do business with you and refer their friends to you too!
Now, if you want more specific examples, steps and samples of ways to do all this then you really want to attend my 3 ½ day Jumpstart Your Marketing® & Sales Summit this April where I lay out everything you need to do to market in all 3 of these areas. I give you the steps, the implementation cheat sheets basically on how to do this, what to say, when to send stuff, how to send it and how to even delegate it all so that you can concentrate on getting MORE prospects into your contact list.
This follow up and marketing tasks and stuff can totally be delegated BUT you have to have the easy and proven SYSTEM that you can pass off and delegate!
So join me in April and let’s jumpstart your business! Go to www.LiveBigEvents.com for all the details and sign up today!
About the Author
© Copyright 2014 K. Sawa Marketing international Inc.
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it:
Katrina Sawa is known as The JumpStart Your Biz Coach because she literally kicks her clients and their businesses into high gear. She works with highly motivated women entrepreneurs that want to maximize their business to make more money, enjoy more free time and fully embrace your happiest life ever. Katrina uses online and offline strategies to leverage your resources, contacts and your expertise; plus she kicks you in the butt to implement it all too! Katrina is an author, speaker and coach and she has been featured on the Oprah and Friends XMRadioNetwork, ABC and the CW. Get her Free Entrepreneur’s Success Kit + couple other gifts online at www.JumpStartYourMarketing.com/freegifts!