Today I’m sharing marketing tips that all small business owners should be spending time on.
Most small business owners focus their efforts in only one area – going after new business. But by solely focusing on acquiring new business, there’s a tendency to forget or to be inconsistent with marketing to their contact databases or referral sources. Those are two areas that are the easiest to go after.
The 3 Types of Marketing You Should Focus On
- Database Marketing
- Referral Source Marketing
- New Business Marketing
Your Database Marketing is marketing to everyone you know…, regardless of your relationship. This includes your hair dresser, dentist, neighbors and friends. Keep in mind that it’s likely that everyone you know could be a potential prospect or referral source.
Database Marketing needs to be done via email, mail, phone, social media, and in person visits – the more ways the better! Your ultimate goal is to be top of mind with everyone you know all of the time so you are the first person they of if they know needs your products or services.
Database Marketing Methods:
- Send out bi-weekly or weekly emails (monthly is not frequent enough for most businesses);
- Hold regular teleclasses or events they can attend for free or paid;
- Mail to them often and consistently;
- Make reminder phone calls and follow up calls;
- Connect with them on the social media sites you belong to or where they’ll see you most often;
- Drop by their offices or drop materials by their homes can be effective, if it’s a good fit.
Your Referral Source Marketing is marketing to all those individuals, companies or groups that directly market to your target market.
These are complementary businesses to yours or big fans of yours that will be most likely to refer business to you. You want to go through your database and build a list of these people, companies or groups that you can market to. You can also do a Google search by industry or type of business or person to find or connect with more individuals or companies to add to your Referral Source list to market to.
The marketing messages that you’ll send to Referral Sources will greatly differ from the ones you send to your regular database of prospects and contacts, and will be very different from the ones you send to new businesses.
Referral Source Marketing Methods can Include any or all of the above plus:
- Invite referral sources to be guest on your teleclasses, radio or TV show, or speak at your events (and offer to do the same for them);
- Invite referral sources to use your articles or content in their email newsletters, blogs or websites (and offer to do the same);
- Build an automated online referral program (typically called an Affiliate Program) that can track referrals;
- Send referral sources pre-written email or web copy or mailed materials they can send out to promote your products, services, events or classes (making sure you have a tracking system in place of course to reward the ones who send you business);
- Connect with them on social media, letting them know online when something comes up they can promote, comment on or share with their followers.
Your New Business Marketing will consist more of direct marketing to your targeted list of prospects. You can buy a list if you want so you can do a mailing but make sure you’re very clear on the demographics and psychographics of your prospects in order to narrow the list down.
New Business Marketing Methods can include any or all of the above plus:
- Social networking is one of the most popular ways to do this today. There are hundreds of sites and places to find prospects online but you’ll need to be efficient with your time. You can easily get sucked in and spend too much time on social media. Go searching with a goal of who you want to connect with, where you want to drive them to (ie; your website, opt in box, call with you, etc.) and have an appropriate way to introduce yourself without being too self-promoting.
- Find blogs and groups or forums online where your target market congregates and post on them often. Ask and answer questions. Learn how to become an expert on that site and if possible, submit content. Share your expertise.
- Speak, sponsor or network at events where your target market will be in attendance. Learn how to “work the room” however so you can meet and connect with as many people as possible.
- Run advertisements in your local area or even national publications or online publications that reach your ideal prospects.
Keep in mind that for all types of marketing, the goal should be to get them into your mailing list and into your email database so that you can continue to market to them. But never rely solely on email marketing to reach all of these people, not in this era; you have to connect with them in many different ways if you really want to be seen. You’ve got to build relationships with them over time and that is the most effective way to market to anyone. People will do business with people they like, trust and connect with so make it easy for them to do business with you and refer their friends to you too!
To find out WHERE YOU STAND in your marketing…
Here’s to Your Success!
The Jumpstart Your Biz Coach, Speaker &
Author of the book, Love Yourself Successful
“Kicking YOU and YOUR Business Into High Gear Making a LOT More MONEY Doing What
P.S. Get your FREE Jumpstart Your Biz Kit at www.JumpStartYourMarketing.com/
© Copyright 2017 K. Sawa Marketing International Inc.
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE OR WEB SITE? To publish this article in your emails or website please include the following blurb:
Katrina Sawa is an International Speaker, Best-Selling Author and Award-Winning Coach who’s helped thousands of small business owners get to the next level in business, revenues and their personal life. She offers one-on-one coaching, group coaching, live seminars and do-it-yourself business-building products. She’s been featured on various news talk shows and radio shows including Oprah and Friends XM Radio, ABC and TheCW. Go online now to get started with her Free Jumpstart Your Biz Kit at www.JumpstartGift.com!